Oscar nominees Best Animated Feature 2014
Earlier today this article was brought to my attention, in which it becomes clear that some of the Academy voters have little to no respect for the animation industry. They openly admit not having watched the nominated films and/or claiming that animated films are for kids, so they didn’t vote. Even the ones shown in the article that did vote barely motivated their choice.
I find this extremely disrespectful of the animators who poured their heart and soul into making these movies, only to have their work be pushed aside without a second glance by the judges of one of the most prominent and well known film awards out there. As an aspiring animator, I am deeply insulted.
Please note that in this post I am expressing no opinion on whether Frozen should have won or not. I think it’s a wonderful film, just as all the other nominees. I am simply saying that we deserve better.
What they did is disrespectful to the creators of every single one of these films, even Frozen. By barely motivating their choice, they make it look like they voted for Frozen simply because of Disney’s status in the industry. Because it’s Disney, and it made a lot of money, so it had to be at least somewhat good. To me it seems like some of the voters just defaulted to voting for the Disney film, and nobody likes to win by default.
Don’t get me wrong, I too have been guilty of loving Disney simply because it’s Disney, but there is so much more beautiful animation out there and it deserves to be taken into consideration. And if Frozen won, it should have won because the majority of the voters thought it was the best film, not because part of the voters was too lazy to even watch the nominated films.
Put your ipod on shuffle and answer the questions with each song that comes up. No cheating!
1. What do people assume when they first look at me?
Body Music - Alunageorge
2. What will be a big challenge in life for me?
Your Friend - Birdy Hunt
3. Am I a good boyfriend/girlfriend?
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
4. Do I have a Secret Admirer?
The Tale of Ashitaka Ending - Princess Mononoke ost
5. Will I ever become manically depressed in my life?
Nocturne No.7 in C sharp minor - Chopin
7. Is someone trying to kill me?
Reunion - The xx (that’s scary..)
8. What is my sexual preference?
She Kicks Ass - Puggy
9. What am I afraid of?
Devil Town - Bright Eyes
10. What will I be doing in a few years?
Orage Mécanique - Les Shades
11. What is some good advice for me?
No.1 Party Anthem -Arctic Monkeys
12. What should I do instead of this quiz?
Sirens of the sea - Coraline ost
13. Will you get married?
Nightcall - Kavinsky
14. What is the story of your life?
The Fear - Lily Allen
15. How can you get ahead in life?
Intro - The xx
16. What is the best thing about your friends?
Wind Song - Les Gamins ost
17. What song describes you?
Gone Hollywood - Supertramp
18. How does the world see you?
Mentira - Manu Chao
19. Will you have a happy life?
Heart-shaped box - Nirvana
20. How can I make myself happy?
The Greeks - Is Tropical
21. What should you do with your life?
Goodbye - Apparat (my ipod hates me)
22. Will you ever have children?
Le Banquet - C2C
If I’m able to, then perhaps I’ll be closer to portraying a true expression of love.
-Hayao Miyazaki (x)